On January 26, 125 years ago, Maitland City Council laid the foundation stone of the West Maitland Town Hall.
Once the first stone was safely laid, the West Maitland Municipal Council proceeded to advertise for suitable designs, offering a first prize of 70 pounds and a second prize of 20 pounds.
Thirty-five entries were received but Maitland architects scooped both prizes.
The consolation prize went to the senior firm of JW Pender, a Scottish builder turned architect who had settled in the Hunter in 1857.
Full article available at Maitland Mercury, Jan. 25, 2013.