Banking began in Sydney in 1817 when the Bank of New South Wales opened its doors with an ex-convict as its first teller.
Thereafter the banks of prosperous Maitland never looked back and by 1858 the local Bank of New South Wales held deposits of £96,000.
Only Sydney and Melbourne held more and the brisk business of the district facilitated the construction of a series of outstanding bank buildings.
The first of these came in 1860 when the Bank of New South Wales constructed a new bank to the design of one of the colony’s most talented architects, Edmund Blacket.
SOURCE:The Rise of High Street, Maitland - A Pictorial Historyby John Turner
Full article available at Maitland Mercury, April 7, 2013.