One of west Maitland’s best known landmarks disappeared on January 26, 1939.
It was the Dr RJ Pierce memorial fountain at the intersection of High and Hunter streets.
It had served as a watering place for horses, but with more motorised traffic in the town, it became a danger zone.
Council had decided to remove the fountain but to preserve the plate bearing the memorial inscription.
The plate was removed shortly after that decision and workmen demolished the fountain, the Mercury reported.
The plate, inscribed “Erected to the memory of the late Dr RJ Pierce, 1889” was to be placed in a prominent position in the vestibule of the Maitland Town Hall but is now in Maitland Library.
Full article available at Maitland Mercury, Aug. 24, 2013.